Saturday, January 03, 2009

Nothing like starting the new year with a ride in an ambulance...

Lane and I both have had a cold that past few days. She started having a yucky cough yesterday and by 6pm I took her temperature and it was 99.6. I felt like something was wrong so I started to take her temp. every 30 minutes. By 8pm her temp. was 102.6 and I was on the computer trying to find a minor emergency place open to take her to...when she began seizing. (She is okay) I had Brandon call 911 and an ambulance came and took us to Cook Children's ER. Where they told us that she had a febrile seizure due to the sudden rise in her temperature. They also told us that she has RSV which is a viral infection that is much like a really bad cold. Anyway, we were in and out of the ER in 3 hours (learning to count the small blessings...after seeing the waiting room FULL of parents and children) and she is much back to her usual self today.

I am a pretty calm and cool person...but it is amazing how when the one your life revolves around becomes ill, you can just lose it. I felt helpless. So I did what I could and held her and whispered in her ear that mommy was here and that I love her. I debated about blogging about this but I didn't want to have to keep retelling the story. So here it is for all our close friends and family to read about. Febrile seizures are common and have no lasting affects. She is just susceptible to having them now whenever she has a fever. Children grow out of them by age 5-6.

So that was our Friday night. I hope yours was much better! And I am off to go take a nap :-)

10 comments:

~holly said...

oh my goodness. i am so glad she is ok and i pray that she never has to go thru that again. (nor you guys!) give her a big hug from her cuz holly please. and one to you too. cause i know how scary that must have been for you.

Cassie said...

I'm so sorry!! I'm so glad that Lane is okay and you and Brandon knew just what to do! I hope she feels better really soon!

Katy said...

SCARY!! Caleb had RSV over Christmas 2 years ago. We had to stay home for the entire holiday because he was sooooo contagious. I am glad to hear that all is well. Bless you in your future of many breating treatments!:)

alisha said...

OH I am so sorry! That is so scary! I am fighting back tears just from reading it. You are completely right that things change when you have kids. That helpless feeling is so horrible! I have not dealt with seizures, but when Lexi had the infant-type asthma and just plain couldn't breathe- oh it's so horrible! I pray she does not have anymore! Give her a big hug and kiss for me! And did I see that she has started walking????

David, Ashley & girls said...

That is no fun at all. I am sorry had to go through that but glad you were there for her. I hope she never has another and this can just be a thing of the past. Get those medical records and keep them readily available. Your story gave me chills. I am glad you are both okay.

Cassie J said...

Praise God. That was a very scarry story I can't imagine the freight of living it in person. Glad there is a happy ending to the this story!!!

The Gills said...

Poor baby. I am glad that no matter how helpless and scared you guys may have felt that she had her Mommy and Daddy there to offer her the comfort that no one else can. : )

On a different note...I would like to put in a request for a video of Lane performing her mad walking skills.

Love you guys!

Melissa said...

Very Scary! I am so glad that she is okay. As a parent it is scary to see something happening to your child that you can't control. Hugs and kisses to that Sweet Lane and her mommy:)

JulieC said...

That is SO scary!!! I'm so sorry. Poor baby, poor mom and dad!!! Is she doing better yet???

David, Ashley & girls said...

Would you provide an update on baby Lane? and how you are holding up? What do you need to do for the RSV? Can you work? Is she feeling better? Did you go to the pediatrician?

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker